Sunday, 23 August 2026

[dcab-l] Traditional Ballad: Fair and Tender Ladies

Songwriters & Music Lovers:

 

Fair and Tender Ladies, also called Tiny Sparrow or Little Sparrow, is known as an

Appalachian ballad, originating in W. Pennsylvania and West Virginia.  Early versions

include a 1904 recording by James Ashby from Missouri, and a version by CH Williams in

1906.  John Jacob Niles collected another version in 1912.

 

One of the earliest recordings was Jean Ritchie in 1948.  It was also recorded by the

Carter Family in 1952.  In 1957, Peggy Seeger recorded it on the album "Peggy Seeger".

 

Other recording artists include Joan Baez, Odetta, The Kingston Trio, Leon Bibb, Makem

and Clancy, Emmylou Harris, Bob Dylan, Dave Van Ronk, The Rankin Family, The Country

Gentlemen, Murray Head, Dolly Parton, David Bromberg, Gene Clark and Carla Olson.

 

Uploaded Image

 

Rattlesnake Hill Musicians:

 

Ed Schaeffer         Rhythm, Lead Guitar & Vocal

Peter Sittner          Bass (Special thanks to Peter!)

 

This song was recorded with an H4n handheld, including bass, guitar and vocals, but no overdubs.

 

To listen, click:  http://rattlesnakehill.org/Web_Music/edsmusic.html

 

Ed

 

(As always, turn up and headphones preferred)

Fair and Tender Ladies     G

"Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies"

(aka "Tiny Sparrow" or "Little Sparrow")

                            Appalachian

 

Come all ye fair and tender ladies

Take warning how you court your men

They're like a star on a summer morning   

They first appear and then they're gone

 

They'll tell to you some loving story

And they'll make you think that they love you well

And away they'll go and court some other

And leave you there in grief to dwell

 

I wish I was on some tall mountain

Where the ivy rocks were black as ink

I'd write a letter to my true lover

Whose cheeks are like the morning pink

 

Or I wish I was a little sparrow

And I had wings to fly so high

I'd fly to the arms of my false true lover

And when he'd ask, I would deny

 

Oh love is handsome, love is charming

And love is pretty while it's new

But love grows cold as love grows old

And fades away like morning dew

And fades away like morning dew

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment